Kia Classic 2018 - March 19-25
The Kia Classic on the PGA Tour is held at Aviara Golf Club in Carlsbad, California. In 2018 the tournament enters its ninth year. 144 of the world's top female golfers will compete. Defending champion this year is South Korean Mirim Lee, who set a tournament record of 20-under 268.
This year's field includes 19 of the top 25 Rolex Ranked women golfers, and seven of the eight previous Classic tournament champions. Here you will see Shanshan Feng, Lexi Thompson, So Yeon Ryu, Ariya Jutanugarn, Anna Nordqvist and In-Kyung Kim. Inbee Park is also here, up ten places to world No. 9 after having won the Bank of Hope Founders Cup in Phoenix last week.
29 year old Park's professional golfing career is quite stunning:
* She has won seven major championships, three consecutively in one year.
* She is the youngest winner of the US Women's Open.
* She is the 2nd player, after Annika Sorenstam, to win the Women's PGA Championship three years in a row.
* She is only the 7th player to win four different career majors, a career Grand Slam.
* In 2016 Park won the first Olympic gold medal since 1900 in the women's individual tournament.
* Also in 2016 she was inducted into the LPGA Tour Hall of Fame.
One of the Kia Classic players was born and raised in the wider region of the tournament, namely Mo Martin. “I love everything about this week,” she said. “It's pretty much home territory... Weather is perfect. I mean, the course in and of itself I love playing it. Love the setup. Keeps you on your toes all day. When you're not hitting shots you've got beautiful scenery, wildflowers. No complaints about the week. It's perfect.”