Royal Melbourne Golf Club (East Course)
The Royal Melbourne, Australia's oldest continually existing golf club, was founded 1891. In 1926 Alister Mackenzie drew up the layout for what would become the West Course, which opened in 1931. Dr Mackenzie partnered with Australian Open champion Alex Russell who, three years later, designed the East Course. Holes from both the East and West Courses form the Composite Course on which major tournaments are played.
On completion of design of the West Course Dr Mackenzie drew up a second plan, this for a nine hole layout. That was not built. Instead, Russell designed and created a second full 18 hole course and included some of the holes routed by Mackenzie [ref: RMGC website].
The Composite Course is comprised of 12 holes from the West Course and six from the East Course, those six being Nos. 1 - 4 and 17 & 18. These are all from the 'home paddock', which means that players do not have to cross any roads during their game. The par-4 18th, just short of 400 metres and encircled by bunkers, has been described as one of the most challenging finishing holes in Australian championship golf. As on the West Course, the greens are ultra-fast.
'The East Course starts and finishes on the main site and is highlighted by seven 'home paddock' holes. The bunkering is superb while the greens, though smaller than the West's, are as beautifully constructed and sloped. It incorporates some of the most dramatic undulation on the course.' [Excerpt from RMGC]
The Royal Melbourne is a private golf club, however visitors from interstate and overseas who belong to a golf club may play on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays subject to availability.
Some of the tournaments hosted by the Royal Melbourne include the Australian Open, 16 times, the World Cup, the Bicentennial Classic, the Presidents Cup and the Women's Australian Open.